Onion & Green Chile Enchiladas
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 large onions, sliced (about 6 cups)
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/3 cup salsa
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium taco seasoning
- 12 flour tortillas (6 inches)
- 2 cans (10 ounces each) green enchilada sauce
- Minced fresh cilantro, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large skillet, heat butter over medium heat. Add onions; cook and stir under tender and golden brown, 8-10 minutes. Cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine 1 cup cheese, sour cream, salsa and taco seasoning. Stir in cooled onions.
- Place 2 tablespoons mixture off center on each tortilla. Roll up and place in a well-greased 13x9-in. baking dish, seam side down. Top with sauce; sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, until heated through and cheese is melted, 20-25 minutes. Sprinkle with cilantro, if desired.
Nutrition Facts2 enchiladas: 561 calories, 32g fat (18g saturated fat), 76mg cholesterol, 1466mg sodium, 50g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 4g fiber), 17g protein.
Oct 14, 2016
I cut this recipe in half for my husband and I. I lowered the amount of onion just a bit and instead added in some black beans. On top I threw on some sliced black olives. I also used red enchilada sauce because my grocery store didn't have green. I really liked the flavor and it was a quick and easy recipe. My only complaint is that our enchiladas turned out kind of mushy/gummy. They were packed in the baking dish a little tight, so maybe that made the sauce stay on top of the enchiladas, making them mushy? I'm not really sure. If I can figure out how to get them to stay a bit more firm, this would be a 5-star recipe. I'll probably make this again and see if I can figure it out.
May 12, 2016
I adore this recipe!! As I am cooking for one, I only baked a portion the first time preparing it, and stored the cheese mixture in the fridge. When I was going to make and bake more, and retrieved the filling, I discovered it was so delicious that it didn't even make it to the oven! LOL The only change I made the third go round was adding 4 ounces of cream cheese to the filling mixture. I also added half can of mexican stewed tomatoes to the green chile sauce topping the fourth go round. Thanks very much for sharing this lovely no meat recipe!!
Jan 9, 2016
My family absolutely loves this- easy to make. I use Cookwell Green Chili Stew mix instead of green echilada sauce. Takes the spicy factor up a notch..also add shredded chicken.
Jan 6, 2016
This was pretty good!
Sep 26, 2015
I did cut down the amount of onions, but other than that, I made it as written. Husband did say that chicken would be nice to have in it, but personally, I thought it was perfect as is. I bought name brand green enchilada sauce . This is a keeper.
Sep 22, 2015
I loved the green enchilada sauce for a change. This dish had great flavor and was very simple to make.
Aug 30, 2015
Wow! The family really liked this. Amazingly I had all the ingredients on hand (which is unusual). I was worried the amount of onions might cause an over whelming onion taste but it was delicious. The guys in our family are carnivores but they did not even notice the lack of meat. Ha ha-- I got you guys!
Aug 28, 2015
This was a fantastic recipe!!! I made it last week and my family LOVED it! It was easy to make and used ingredients that I usually already have on hand. This one will definitely be one of our new family favorites!
Aug 18, 2015
Made this last night and it was excellent........even without meat! I'll make it again!
Aug 10, 2015
I just made this last night and my husband commented it was excellent! I was quite impressed myself. Its nice to have a meatless recipe ocassionally & we love onions! Thanks