One-Pot Pork and Rice
- 6 boneless pork loin chops (5 ounces each)
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 large green pepper, sliced
- 1 envelope pork gravy mix
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1. In a Dutch oven, brown pork chops in oil on both sides; drain. Remove chops from pan and keep warm. Layer rice, onion and green pepper in Dutch oven; top with pork chops.
- 2. Combine the gravy mix, tomatoes and water; pour over chops. Cover; bake at 350° for 1 hour or until a thermometer reads 160°.
1 each: 391 calories, 10g fat (3g saturated fat), 83mg cholesterol, 545mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 3g fiber), 33g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3-1/2 lean meat, 2 starch, 2 vegetable.
Jan 7, 2017
I liked this!!! I seasoned the chops with garlic and herbs before Browning. I seasoned the rice with a little sAlt and pepper. It did seem to have a lot of tomatoes though.
Jan 29, 2014
I added 1 can, 14.5 oz, small diced and 1 can, 14.5 oz, stew tomatoes and it turned out flavorfull. The stew tomatoes had herbs. My wife said she wants me to make that dish anytime I want. She took the left overs to work for lunch. I cooked the chops in the dutch oven and bowned the rice on the chops drippings. I then transferred everything to a baking dish and baked it in the dish instead of the dutch oven it came out very moist. Next time I want to try my cast iron large skillet to bake it
Jul 15, 2013
This is a really simply recipe thats good for a week night dinner but the flavor is nothing special.
Sep 9, 2011
Great concept but needs a little help. 1 hour was way too long for the pork chops - they were dry as a bone. Both rice and chops need a lot more seasoning. But with some adjustments, this could be a winner. Will try again.
May 4, 2010
My family loved it. I did have to bake it a little longer for the rice to be done.
Jan 2, 2010
I accidentally bought a can of crushed tomatoes instead of diced, but it came out fine. I also used chicken broth instead of the water for more flavor.
Oct 4, 2009
I thought this recipe was good and it was very easy. The rice was delicious. My husband really enjoyed it too. I would make this again. I would maybe recommend adding some salt and pepper to the chops though.