One-Dish Oven Stew
I like to keep busy on weekends and don't want to be tied up in the kitchen. That's when this recipe comes in handy. With little fuss, a hearty stew awaits you at the end of the day.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 1-1/2 hours
- 3/4 pound beef top round steak, trimmed and cubed
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 4 medium unpeeled potatoes, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 5 medium carrots, cut into 1-1/2-inch chunks
- 1 celery rib, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 large onion, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chunky stewed tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 1 teaspoon browning sauce
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup frozen peas
- In a Dutch oven, brown the beef in oil. Add the next eight ingredients; cover and bake at 350° for 1-1/2 to 2 hours, stirring twice. Add peas, cover and let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Facts1-1/3 cups: 263 calories, 5g fat (0 saturated fat), 33mg cholesterol, 257mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 17g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 vegetable, 1 meat.
Originally published as One-Dish Oven Stew in Taste of Home's Down-Home Diabetic Cookbook
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.