I like to keep busy on weekends and don't want to be tied up in the kitchen. That's when this recipe comes in handy. With little fuss, a hearty stew awaits you at the end of the day.
Recommended: How to Cook Chicken: 10 Essential Methods
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 3/4 pound boneless beef round steak, trimmed and cubed
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 4 medium unpeeled potatoes, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 5 medium carrots, cut into 1-1/2-inch chunks
- 1 celery rib, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 large onion, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chunky stewed tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 1 teaspoon browning sauce
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup frozen peas
- In a Dutch oven, brown the steak in oil. Add the next eight ingredients; cover and bake at 300° for 4-5 hours, stirring twice. Add the peas during the last 30 minutes of baking. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as One-Dish Oven Stew in Taste of Home's Down-Home Diabetic Cookbook Annual 1995, p146