On-the-Go Breakfast Muffins
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 1 pound Johnsonville® Ground Mild Italian sausage
- 7 large eggs, divided use
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a large nonstick skillet, cook sausage over medium heat 6-8 minutes or until no longer pink, breaking into crumbles. Remove with a slotted spoon; drain on paper towels. Wipe skillet clean.
- In a small bowl, whisk five eggs. Pour into same skillet; cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and no liquid egg remains. Remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, whisk flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, whisk remaining eggs, milk and oil until blended. Add to flour mixture; stir just until moistened. Fold in 2/3 cup cheese, sausage and scrambled eggs.
- Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups three-fourths full. Sprinkle tops with remaining cheese. Bake 12-15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Serve warm. Freeze option: Freeze cooled muffins in resealable plastic freezer bags. To use, microwave each muffin on high for 45-60 seconds or until heated through.
Nutrition Facts1 muffin: 238 calories, 16g fat (4g saturated fat), 93mg cholesterol, 357mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 0 fiber), 8g protein.
Feb 11, 2018
I just made these, just ok for me. Feel like they are lacking something, perhaps I will add parsley next time, might even try with Pepper Jack cheese.Have since made these again using half hot sausage and half sweet, added a tsp coarse ground black pepper,used Pepperjack cheese in the mix and cheddar on the top, reduced the sugar to 1/4 cup and used 1 cup of all purpose flour and 1 cup of whole wheat flour, now they have something going on!
Feb 1, 2017
I made these when we had family staying wit us and most every one enjoyed them. Some loved them and others thought they were just okay. For a make a head breakfast option that can just be heated up and eaten I thought they were pretty good. My husband said it would be great smothered with breakfast gravy.
Dec 12, 2016
Great recipe...sweet and savory at the same time. We used precooked sliced link sausages, because that's what my kiddos prefer. Also added a bit more shredded cheese on top. Perfect recipe to make/save on a weekend and serve on a busy weekday morning as you're running out the door!
Nov 30, 2015
Great recipe Quick, simple and good. My breaktime at work is around 8:00 so perfect for my breakfast break.
Oct 7, 2015
Love it and will keep this recipe handy, hubby even likes it and he is picky. Am going to try it with bacon. Thank you for great recipe
Oct 2, 2015
I made these for my son because he is such a pain in the morning. I like them, my husband likes them, but my son says he does not like them. It makes no sense b/c he loves sausage, eggs, cheese, etc., but alas I still haven't found the miracle breakfast yet.
Sep 24, 2015
These are great for traveling and eating on the go. I used 1/4 raw sugar and whole wheat flour. Super healthy shot of protein. We also made them with ground turkey seasoned like sausage (for non-pork eaters in the family) and they were yummy! Seasoned the ground turkey the day before to let it marinate, then browned it just like sausage. They do freeze well, too.
Sep 24, 2015
Not a keeper for me. Mine turned out heavy and dry. Two things come to mind. My baking powder is old; may have stirred the mixture too much. Also something told me too much meat.. Wish I would have used 1/2 pound instead.
Aug 26, 2015
These breakfast muffins were great! They were easy ans a great quick breakfast on my way to work. I used spicy sausage. I also used self rising flour.
Dec 27, 2014
I've made thee several times now and my family and guests just love them! I use the recipe as a guide but will add different meats if thats what I have on hand. I season evey layer well with garlic, salt & pepper, and herbs. I have also made them gluten free/dairy free and they also get a rave revie. They freeze and reheat very well also.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.