"I came up with these crispy quesadillas because my family found breakfast burritos too messy," says Terri Capps of Witchita, Kansas. "They're fast to fix, fun to eat, filling and healthy...and you can add or subtract ingredients to fit individual tastes."
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 1/2 cup egg substitute
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh tomato
- 2 flour tortillas (10 inches)
- 4 thin slices lean ham (1/2 ounce each)
- 1/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 3 tablespoons salsa
- In a small nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, cook mushrooms and onion over medium heat until tender. Add egg substitute and tomato; cook and stir until set.
- Place one tortilla in a large nonstick skillet; top with ham, egg mixture, cheeses and remaining tortilla. Cook over medium heat, carefully turning once, until lightly browned on both sides and cheese is melted. Cut into four wedges. Serve with salsa.
Nutrition Facts2 wedges: 375 calories, 11g fat (5g saturated fat), 29mg cholesterol, 1137mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 7g fiber), 25g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 lean meat, 2 fat.
Originally published as Omelet Quesadilla in Taste of Home October/November 2003