I WAS ANXIOUS the first time I tried this recipe, wondering if my family would like it. It was a big hit, though, and I was happy to find another idea for serving this prolific garden vegetable. I serve it most often with chicken. It adds so much color to the plate. -Dorothy Pritchett, Wills Point, Texas
Recommended: Our Most-Loved Recipes for Zucchini
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 medium zucchini
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 cup soft bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons chopped pimiento-stuffed olives
- 2 tablespoons shredded cheddar cheese
- Cut zucchini in half lengthwise; scoop out and reserve pulp, leaving 1/4-in. shells. Place zucchini shells, cut side down, in a skillet. Add water. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 5-6 minutes or until tender; drain.
- Turn shells cut side up; sprinkle with salt. Chop zucchini pulp; saute in a small saucepan in butter for 5 minutes or until tender. Stir in bread crumbs and olives. Spoon into the zucchini shells; sprinkle with cheese. Cover and cook over medium heat (with no added water) for 5 minutes or until cheese is melted. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Olive-Cheese Zucchini Boats in Reminisce July/August 2000, p49
Reviews forOlive-Cheese Zucchini Boats
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Oct. 13, 2014
"Love Love Love these boats. I baked them in the oven, it worked out fine."