Old-World Pizza Meat Loaf
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 55 min. + standing
Makes6 servings plus leftovers
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1-1/2 cups seasoned bread crumbs
- 1 can (4-1/4 ounces) chopped ripe olives, drained
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons onion soup mix
- 1 cup pizza sauce, divided
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large bowl, combine the egg, bread crumbs, olives, mushrooms, mozzarella cheese, pepper, onion, soup mix and 1/2 cup pizza sauce. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into a 10x6-in. rectangle and place in a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan; Spoon remaining pizza sauce over top.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 45 minutes. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Bake 10-15 minutes longer or until no pink remains and a thermometer reads 160°. Let stand 10 minutes before slicing.
- Reserve 2 slices meat loaf for Next Day Meat Loaf Pie recipe. Serve the remaining meat loaf.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 417 calories, 22g fat (8g saturated fat), 114mg cholesterol, 1037mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 3g fiber), 32g protein.
Apr 28, 2016
This is the perfect antidote to my meatloaf-phobic 9yr old who loves pizza! By the way, Pythonesk, dehydrated soups (e.g. onion soup mix) have been available since at least the 1940s. That is over 3 generations ago, plenty of time for it to have been her grandmother's recipe.
Jan 15, 2016
My husband loved it. I halved the ingredients to make a smaller loaf and just used a regular sized loaf tin.I omitted the onion soup mix so don't know what that would add to the flavour.Was lovely and moist. Served it with mashed potato and heated a passata sauce which wasn't necessary. However. I grated some extra cheese and put some extra passata sauce aside. Am going to freeze what is left of the loaf add the sauce and the cheese on the top and then slice once cooked.We're not used to meatloaf in England and I've never made it before as it has always looked a little dry but this version was great and very unusual.
Jul 29, 2015
This makes a huge meatloaf - enough for several meals, so I would cut it in half the next time I made it. It has good flavor, and we'll be making it again.
Mar 1, 2015
Makes a gigantic meatloaf. I love all the different pizza ingredients. Definitely a keeper.
Mar 11, 2012
I served this for lunch today, and my husband and I really enjoyed it. It had enough of the pizza pizzazz without being overwhelming. It made such a big meatloaf that we will have enough for at least 2 meals.
Mar 4, 2012
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.