- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 8 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 pound fully cooked kielbasa, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup water
- 4 teaspoons caraway seeds
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- In a Dutch oven, saute onion in butter. Add remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Serve with a slotted spoon. Yield: 10 servings.
Reviews forOld-World Kielbasa
"This is a tasty quick Fall dish. I often cut the cabbage to 4 cups (for a smaller crowd), but I still leave the other ingredients the same -- especially the caraway seeds - which give it so much flavor. One other thought: My brother has diverticulitis (which means he can't eat seeds), so you can pulverize the seeds in a blender & then continue with recipe. Add the ground seeds to taste....but then at least you get to keep the great flavor!"
"No wonder she has been making this for 70 yrs. It's wonderful! My family loved it! I also thin sliced potatoes and added it to the pot to make it a one dish meal."