- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1/2 pound bacon, diced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup barbecue sauce
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 can (16 ounces) pork and beans, undrained
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (16 ounces) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- In a large skillet, cook beef, bacon and onion until meat is done and onion is tender. Drain any fat. Combine all remaining ingredients except beans. Add to meat mixture; mix well. Stir in beans. P
- Place in a greased 2-1/2-qt. baking dish. Cover and bake at 350° for 1 hour or until heated through. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Reviews forOld Settlers' Baked Beans
"Great Recipe. I left out the white sugar and reduced the amount of brown sugar to 1/4 cup. To bulk up the recipe and to add some color I added a can of Black beans. For extra measures I also added a can of Butter Beans. This recipe is almost a clone to my older version of Old Settlers Baked Beans.I also reduced the amount of both meats.Janie"
"This was a hit with us, our kids and grandkids. A wee bit too much sugar and, since I couldn't find a 16 oz can of baked beans, I used a 28 ox can of baked beans. This will definately be repeated over and over as a real crowd pleaser!"
"I have to make these just about for every cookout..... Everyone loves them :)"
"I liked these, but they were too sweet. I'll probably leave out the white sugar if I make them again."
"My family liked these better than any other baked beans I've made in the past."
"DH is a big fan of baked beans and really liked this dish. However, he thought it was too sweet, so next time I'll cut back on both sugars. Otherwise it was great! Thanks for sharing!"
"These are the best baked beans ever! Give them a try! We had a graduation party and the crowd raved about them! ENJOY!"
"I've made a few similar recipes and this was the best."
"The best bake beans I ever ate!"