Old Glory Angel Food
Old Glory Angel Food makes a glorious dessert for your Fourth of July celebration. It's easy to assemble, but the triple layers and stars-and-stripes topping look like you fussed. "One July, we invited a couple over for a backyard barbecue," relates Anne Nabbefeld of Hortonville, Wisconsin. "The woman had recently become a United States citizen, so I created this cake for her. It was a big hit."
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1 loaf-shaped angel food cake (10-1/2 ounces)
- 1 carton (8 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 1 cup quartered fresh strawberries
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- Additional blueberries and strawberries
- Split cake horizontally into thirds. Place bottom layer on a serving platter. Combine 1 cup whipped topping and strawberries; spread over bottom layer. Top with second cake layer.
- Combine 1 cup topping and blueberries; spread over second layer. Top with remaining cake layer. Spread with remaining topping. Arrange additional berries over top of cake to form a flag.
Originally published as Old Glory Angel Food in Taste of Home June/July 2004
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.