- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups apple butter
- Additional apple butter, optional
- Preheat oven to 450°. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and vanilla. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, ginger, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with molasses and buttermilk, beating well after each addition.
- Drop two scant 1/4 cupfuls of batter, at least 7 in. apart, onto a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. With well-floured fingers, pat each into a 5- to 6-in. circle. Bake 2-3 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely. Repeat with remaining batter.
- To assemble, place one cake layer on a serving plate; spread with 2 tablespoons apple butter. Repeat layers four times; top with a sixth layer. Repeat to make two more stack cakes. Refrigerate, covered, until serving. If desired, serve with additional apple butter. Yield: 3 stack cakes (6 slices each).
Reviews forOld-Fashioned Stack Cakes
"not quite the same recipe as the ones from farther south. i don't care for apple butter at all, so it was simply..ok..i will post the recipe from Tennessee as soon as i get back there to retrieve it from my moms."