VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 cup crushed saltine crackers (about 30 crackers)
- 1/3 cup water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- Hot mashed potatoes or noodlles
- In a large bowl, combine cracker crumbs, water, salt and pepper. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Press into an ungreased 9-in. square pan. Cover and refrigerate for at least 3 hours.
- Cut into 3-in. squares; dredge in flour. In a large skillet, cook meat squares in oil until browned on both sides.
- Transfer to a 3-qt. slow cooker with a slotted spatula or spoon. Add soup.
- Cover and cook on high for 4 hours or until meat is no longer pink. Serve with mashed potatoes or noodles. Yield: 9 servings.
Originally published as Poor Man's Steak in Taste of Home Ground Beef Cookbook 1999, p66
Reviews forOld-Fashioned Poor Man's Steak
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Mar. 30, 2017
"Delicious home cooked comfort food!Instead of doing the slow cooker, I baked in the oven at 350 for about an hour."