Old-Fashioned Plum Loaves
This moist quick bread has a sweet glaze. The secret ingredient that makes it so easy and convenient is baby food.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 35 min.
Makes2 mini loaves
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 large egg yolk, lightly beaten
- 1 jar (4 ounces) plum baby food
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients. Stir in the egg, egg yolk, baby food and oil just until moistened. Fold in nuts. Spoon into two greased 5-3/4x3x2-in. loaf pans. Bake at 325° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan, combine the sugar, buttermilk and butter; bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 3 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla. Poke holes with a fork in top of loaves. Pour topping over loaves. Cool in pans for 10 minutes or until topping is absorbed. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool.
Editor’s Note: The baked bread may be frozen for up to 2 months.