Old-Fashioned Kraut Dinner
Although I've collected countless cookbooks, I enjoy creating my own recipes even more. I came up with this recipe as an easy way to put dinner on the table after a long day's work.
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 50 min.
- 1 pound fully cooked smoked Polish sausage, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 6 pork chops (3/4 inch thick)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 cans (14 ounces each) sauerkraut, rinsed and well drained
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- In a large skillet, brown sausage and pork chops in oil; drain. Add the next five ingredients; cook until vegetables are tender. Stir in tomato sauce and water; cover and simmer for 40 minutes.
- Remove pork chops to a serving platter; keep warm. Add sauerkraut and sugar to skillet; mix well. Heat through. Serve with pork chops.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 502 calories, 31g fat (11g saturated fat), 140mg cholesterol, 1467mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 3g fiber), 41g protein.
Originally published as Old-Fashioned Kraut Dinner in Country Pork