Old-Fashioned Fruit Compote
A perfect partner for your Christmas goose, this warm and fruity side dish can simmer while you prepare the rest of your menu, or make it a day ahead and reheat before serving. —Shirley A. Glaab, Hattiesburg, Mississippi
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 1 hour
- 1 can (20 ounces) pineapple chunks, undrained
- 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) sliced peaches, undrained
- 1 can (11 ounces) mandarin oranges, undrained
- 1 package (18 ounces) pitted dried plums
- 2 packages (3-1/2 ounces each) dried blueberries
- 1 package (6 ounces) dried apricots
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 4 lemon peel strips
- 1 cinnamon stick (3 inches)
- 1 jar (10 ounces) maraschino cherries, drained
- Drain pineapple, peaches and oranges, reserving the juices; set drained fruit aside. In a Dutch oven, combine fruit juice, dried fruits, lemon and cinnamon stick. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until dried fruit is tender, about 30 minutes. Add reserved canned fruit and cherries; heat just until warmed through. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Nutrition Facts1/4 cup: 126 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 4mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (22g sugars, 2g fiber), 1g protein.
Originally published as Holiday Fruit Compote in Taste of Home December/January 2011