Old-Fashioned Doughnuts with Frosting
Total TimePrep: 35 min. + chilling Cook: 5 min./batch
MakesAbout 1-1/2 dozen doughnuts plus doughnut holes
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 3 to 4 tablespoons boiling water
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons baking cocoa
- In a large bowl, beat sour cream and buttermilk until smooth. Beat in sugar until smooth. Beat in eggs and vanilla just until combined. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Gradually add flour mixture to buttermilk mixture just until combined (dough will be sticky). Cover and refrigerate 2-3 hours.
- Turn dough onto a well-floured surface; knead 2-3 minutes or until smooth. Roll out to 1/2-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 2-1/2-in. doughnut cutter.
- In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°. Fry doughnuts, a few at a time, 1 to 1-1/2 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Fry doughnut holes until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.
- For frosting, combine confectioners' sugar and salt in a bowl. Stir in 3-4 tablespoons water, butter and vanilla until the desired consistency is reached. Pour half into a small bowl. Stir cocoa into remaining frosting until smooth. Dip tops of warm doughnuts in chocolate or vanilla frosting.
Nutrition Facts1 doughnut: 297 calories, 10g fat (3g saturated fat), 45mg cholesterol, 147mg sodium, 47g carbohydrate (25g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Apr 27, 2019
This was my first attempt at making a fried doughnut. I was very happy with how the dough came together, and how well it rolled out. I don't own a doughnut cutter, so I used biscuit cutters in 2 sizes. I punched out the large size first, then went back and punched out the middles. I tossed some with cinnamon sugar right out of the oil, the rest I frosted per the recipe. Amazing! Will definitely make them again.