- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- Dash salt
- 2 cups milk
- 3 egg yolks, beaten
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1-1/4 cups flaked coconut, divided
- 1 pie shell (9 inches), baked
- 3 egg whites
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- In a saucepan, combine flour an sugar; add salt, milk and egg yolks. Mix well. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes more. Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla and 1 cup coconut. Pour hot filling into pie shell.
- For meringue, beat egg whites in a mixing bowl until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar until mixture forms stiff glossy peaks and sugar dissolves. Spread meringue over hot filling. Sprinkle with remaining coconut. Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes or until golden. Cool. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Reviews forOld-Fashioned Coconut Pie
"I tried this pie tonight for my husband and a elder friend of his they both loved it I give it 5 stars it was great and I will most definitely be making it again thank you so much"
"I made two of these for Thanksgiving and both of them were gone by the end of the night! Everyone loved them!! I would definetly make them again."
"I agree with your husband I'm spoiled on scratch homemade foods. The taste was great. The meringue turned out good. I did cut down some of the sugar. My family doesn't like some things to sweet. I find some receipes has to much sugar added. But to each their own on their sweet tooth. It was easy to make.