- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup baking cocoa
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- Pinch salt
- 2-1/4 cups water
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pastry shell (9 inches), baked
- Whipped cream and chocolate sprinkles
- In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, cocoa, flour and salt; gradually add water. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture comes to a boil. Cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in butter and vanilla.
- Pour into pastry shell. Refrigerate for 2-3 hours before serving. Garnish with whipped cream and chocolate sprinkles. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Reviews forOld-Fashioned Chocolaty Pie
"Very simple to make and set up fine. Just did not think it had any chocolate flavor to it. Will continue my search."
"This is a very simple recipe to throw together. It set wonderfully and had a VERY silky texture."
"Because this pie is so simple to make, it's one that i make often. Very rich and chocolately! Tastes so much better than store bought boxed puddings."
"I didn't care for this filling at all. I threw it away after trying to eat a slice."
"I didn't care for this filling at all. It was not good at all."
"I really like this pie. I currently can't have dairy products and this one works great for me. I whip cream for the rest of the family and eat it plain myself. One change I do make is I add 1/2 cup very dark chocolate or chocolate chips to the filling in the last minute of cooking. It tastes excellent."
"While the flavor was pretty good, I think it was lacking something to give it richness. My pie was on the loose side, not at all like the picture. I'm guessing the flour and cooking time might need to be adjusted. I liked it enough that I would try it again sometime."
"THis recipe is very quick and simple. The only problem I have is it never seems to set up very firm. IT is sligtly jiggly and soft no matter how long I fridge it. I will have to try boiling it longer or something!"