VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/2 cup butter or stick margarine, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 cup cold water
- 2 cups cake flour
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 egg whites
- 2 teaspoons confectioners' sugar
- In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Beat in water. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture and mix well. Add vanilla. In another bowl, beat egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gently fold into the creamed mixture.
- Pour into a 9-in. square baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Dust with confectioners' sugar. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Chocolate Snack Cake in Country Woman January/February 2002, p37