- 2 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 2 squares (1 ounce each) unsweetened chocolate
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 egg yolks, beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Whipped cream, optional
- In the top of a double boiler, heat milk, butter and chocolate until the chocolate melts. Chocolate may appear curdled. Combine sugar, flour, and salt. Sprinkle over chocolate mixture. Do not stir. Cover the mixture and cook on medium-low for 20 minutes. With a spoon, beat mixture until smooth. Quickly add egg yolks; beat well. Cook 2 additional minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in vanilla. Pour into dessert glasses. Serve with whipped cream, if desired. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews forOld-Fashioned Chocolate Pudding
"This recipe reminds us of brownies. It was very thick and had a smooth texture.Everyone loved it."
"I don't have a double boiler, but I tried the microwave and it worked fine. You do have to carefully stir in the flour mixture, though. It only took a few minutes and it was really good."
"This is to die for! It does work the way the directions say, w/o stirring, but once while I wasn't paying enough attention, I stirred it up. That worked just as good. Thanks so much for sharing this. I double it and we eat off it the rest of the week....ok maybe just the next night."