Old-Fashioned Chocolate Pie Recipe
Preparing this old-fashioned pie brings back memories. When I was a girl, we cranked homemade ice cream to serve with it.
- 1/2 cup water
- 1-1/2 squares (1-1/2 ounces) unsweetened baking chocolate
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 unbaked pastry shell (9 inches)
- 2 tablespoons chopped nuts, optional
- 1. In a saucepan, bring water, chocolate and butter to a boil; boil for 1 minute. Remove from the heat; add sugar and vanilla. Set aside. In a mixing bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg; beat well. Combine flour, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk. Pour into pastry shell. Carefully pour reserved chocolate mixture over filling. Sprinkle with nuts if desired. Cover edges of pastry with foil. Bake at 350° for 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Yield: 8 servings.
1 piece: 467 calories, 23g fat (10g saturated fat), 49mg cholesterol, 372mg sodium, 63g carbohydrate (36g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Reviews for Old-Fashioned Chocolate Pie
© 2018 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC