Old-Fashioned Chocolate Cake
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/3 cup mashed potatoes (without added milk and butter)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add 1 egg at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in mashed potatoes and vanilla. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt; add to the creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition.
- Pour into a greased and floured 9-in. square baking pan; sprinkle with walnuts. Bake at 350° until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 30-35 minutes. Cool completely. Dust with confectioner's sugar.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 308 calories, 16g fat (3g saturated fat), 47mg cholesterol, 228mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (23g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Old Fashioned Chocolate Cake in Reminisce Extra November 2011