Old-fashioned Chicken and Dumplings Recipe
- 1/2 pound boneless skinless chicken breast, cubed
- 1-1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 medium carrot, sliced
- 1 small potato, peeled and cubed
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped celery
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch ground cloves
- Pinch salt
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1. In a small saucepan, combine the first nine ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Discard bay leaf.
- 2. For dumplings, in a small bowl, combine the flour, parsley, baking powder, cloves and salt. Stir in milk just until moistened. Drop by heaping teaspoonfuls onto simmering chicken mixture. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in a dumpling comes out clean (do not lift the cover while simmering). Yield: 2 servings.
Reviews for Old-fashioned Chicken and Dumplings
"Made the recipe as written except I doubled it. Will be much more stingy with the ground cloves, though. Their flavor can get overpowering in a hurry."
"This recipe is EXCELLENT! I actually added 3 1/2 more cups of water though and it still turned out fantastic! It smelled great while cooking and while reheating the next day!"
"Really really good. I doubled it to make it for my family. Instead of this dumpling recipe, I used the reciped off of the baking mix box. It turned out great!!!"
"I like dumplings way to much so I doubled that part of the recipe! Family Favorite"
"I followed the advice of the other reviewer and just used a bag of frozen stew vegetables, which had everything in them( potatoes, onion, carrots, etc.) Very fast and easy, and came out tasting good. Will make again!"