Through the years, I've made this bread pudding quite often and am asked for the recipe each time. I think folks find this dessert so appealing because of its comforting taste and texture.
Recommended: 30 Dessert Recipes for Raisin Lovers
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 cups fat-free milk
- 1/2 cup egg substitute
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Artificial sweetener equivalent to 1 teaspoon sugar
- 4 slices stale bread, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons raisins
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Combine milk, egg substitute, vanilla and sweetener in a bowl. Add bread cubes and raisins; stir gently. Pour into a 1-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with cinnamon. Place in a shallow pan; add 1 in. of water. Bake at 350° for 50 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Old-Fashioned Bread Pudding in Taste of Home's Down-Home Diabetic Cookbook Annual 1995, p295
Reviews forOld-Fashioned Bread Pudding
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed May. 18, 2010
"just like the one my mom made for family of seven who all remember her cooking"