My family came to America from Germany in the late 1950's and brought with them many wonderful recipes like this one. This particular dish reminds me of my grandmother's kitchen and waiting for her delicious dinners.
Recommended: 44 German Christmas Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 pound thinly cut beef top round steak, separated into four pieces
- Coarse-ground prepared mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- Pepper to taste
- 1 medium dill pickle, quartered lengthwise
- 3 medium carrots, cut into sticks, divided
- 1 small onion, cut into wedges
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 cups water
- 2 reduced-sodium beef bouillon cubes
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- Hot cooked noodles, optional
- Spread steak pieces with mustard. Sprinkle with thyme, salt and pepper. On one edge of each, place a piece of pickle, carrot and a wedge of onion. Roll up and secure with a toothpick. Coat each roll with flour.
- In a skillet, heat oil over medium-high. Brown beef on all sides. Add the water, bouillon, ketchup and remaining carrots. Cover and simmer for 1 hour. Thicken gravy if desired. Serve with noodles. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Beef Rouladen in Taste of Home's Down-Home Diabetic Cookbook Annual 1995, p128