- 2 cups cubed sponge cake
- 5 macaroon cookies, crumbled
- 2 tablespoons sherry or orange juice
- 2 tablespoons brandy or orange juice
- 3 cups heavy whipping cream, divided
- 4 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup fresh raspberries
- 1 cup sliced fresh strawberries
- 1 cup sliced peeled fresh or frozen peaches, thawed
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- Place cake cubes and crumbled cookies in a 3-qt. glass bowl. Drizzle with sherry and brandy.
- In a small saucepan, heat 1-3/4 cups cream until bubbles form around sides of pan. In a small bowl, whisk egg yolks and sugar. Remove cream from the heat; stir a small amount of hot cream into egg mixture. Return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Cook and stir until mixture is thickened and coats the back of a spoon; stir in vanilla.
- Layer the raspberries, strawberries and peaches over crumbled cookies; spoon custard over fruit. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- In a large bowl, beat remaining cream until stiff peaks form. Pipe over custard; sprinkle with almonds. Yield: 12 servings (1 cup each).
Reviews forOld English Trifle
"I will try all the recipes you give me thank you."