- 4 bacon strips, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 cup sliced fresh or frozen okra
- 2 medium tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups cooked rice
- In a skillet, cook the bacon until crisp; remove with a slotted spoon to paper towel to drain. Saute onion and green pepper in drippings for 6-8 minutes or until tender. Stir in the okra, tomatoes, salt if desired and pepper; cook over medium heat for 5 minutes. Add rice; cook for 10-15 minutes or until okra is tender and liquid is absorbed. Crumble bacon; stir into rice mixture and serve immediately. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews forOkra Pilaf
"A wonderful change of pace from fried okra. It's also a very colorful dish to serve."
"so easy and tastes wonderful, I have use can tomatoes and it still tastes great"
"I have made this numerous times and taken to carry-ins also and everyone always loves it. It is one of our very favorite dishes and so easy to make. I do wonder if anyone has ever used canned tomatoes. I often think of trying them after tomato season is over but never have."