Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 25 min. + cooling
- 1 package white cake mix (regular size)
- 2-2/3 cups canned vanilla frosting
- Blue and green Fruit Roll-Ups
- Fish candies
- Black shoestring licorice
- Candy stick
- Prepare and bake cake according to package directions, using two greased 9-in. round baking pans. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- Spread 1-2/3 cups frosting between layers and over top and sides of cake. Using the back of a spoon, make waves on the top of cake with remaining frosting.
- Cut wave shapes out of Fruit Roll-Ups; gently press along bottom of cake. Arrange additional wave shapes and fish candies on top of cake as desired. Tie licorice on one end of candy stick to create a fishing pole.
Cut the Fruit Roll-Ups in half vertically. Then fold in half, keeping the plastic sides together. Cut into wave shapes. See cutting Fruit Roll-Ups»
Mar 10, 2014
I made a variation of this for my son's 6th birthday shark party. Instead of gummy fish, I used sharks. I went to three different grocery stores looking for blue and green fruit roll ups for the waves, and I couldn't find them in my area, so I used blue fruit by the foot instead. I didn't find them until the third grocery store though. If I had known that further in advance, I would've bought them online. Overall, it was easy to do and turned out great. Everyone loved it.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.