Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 25 min. + cooling
- 1 package white cake mix (regular size)
- 2-2/3 cups canned vanilla frosting
- Blue and green Fruit Roll-Ups
- Fish candies
- Black shoestring licorice
- Candy stick
- Prepare and bake cake according to package directions, using two greased 9-in. round baking pans. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- Spread 1-2/3 cups frosting between layers and over top and sides of cake. Using the back of a spoon, make waves on the top of cake with remaining frosting.
- Cut wave shapes out of Fruit Roll-Ups; gently press along bottom of cake. Arrange additional wave shapes and fish candies on top of cake as desired. Tie licorice on one end of candy stick to create a fishing pole.
Cut the Fruit Roll-Ups in half vertically. Then fold in half, keeping the plastic sides together. Cut into wave shapes. See cutting Fruit Roll-Ups»
Mar 10, 2014
I made a variation of this for my son's 6th birthday shark party. Instead of gummy fish, I used sharks. I went to three different grocery stores looking for blue and green fruit roll ups for the waves, and I couldn't find them in my area, so I used blue fruit by the foot instead. I didn't find them until the third grocery store though. If I had known that further in advance, I would've bought them online. Overall, it was easy to do and turned out great. Everyone loved it.