In Milford, Indiana, Kathy Rairigh warms up many a crisp fall morning by spooning a sweet chunky fruit sauce over oatmeal. "Replace half of the peaches with applesauce," she suggests.
Recommended: The 75 Best Ways to Enjoy Farmer's Market Peaches
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 cups diced peeled fresh or frozen peach slices
- 4 teaspoons maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons plus 3-1/2 cups water, divided
- 2 teaspoons orange juice concentrate
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Dash ground ginger
- 2 cups quick-cooking oats
- 2 tablespoons raisins
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Milk and slivered almonds, optional
- In a large saucepan, combine peaches, syrup, 3 tablespoons water, orange juice concentrate, cinnamon and ginger. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer uncovered, for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in another saucepan, bring the remaining water to a boil. Stir in the oats, raisins, brown sugar and salt. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat; let stand for 5 minutes. Serve oatmeal with peach sauce, and milk and almonds if desired. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Oatmeal With Peach Sauce in Quick Cooking September/October 2004, p34
Reviews forOatmeal with Peach Sauce
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Feb. 3, 2012
"This was really good! I don't like oatmeal much, but this was embellished enough to be yummy. :) I used frozen peaches."