- 1-3/4 cups boiling water
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 2-1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 3 to 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- Melted margarine
- In a large mixing bowl, combine boiling water, oats, molasses, shortening, orange juice and salt; let stand until warm (110°-115°). In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water; add to oat mixture. Add whole wheat flour and beat until smooth. Add enough all-purpose flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto a floured board; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour. Punch dough down. Shape into two loaves; place in greased 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes. Bake at 350° for 40 minutes. Remove from pans; brush with margarine. Cool on wire racks. Yield: 2 loaves (32 slices).
Reviews forOatmeal Wheat Bread
"This bread has a really good flavor to it and wasn't difficult to make. Mine was a little dense, but I'm thinking that I didn't knead it enough. Will be trying again!"