Oatmeal Waffles with Orange Ricotta Topping
I like how the oatmeal lends a natural sweetness and nutty flavor to these waffles. Instead of serving them with maple syrup, try them with a orange ricotta spread. —Pauline Aufrecht, Beaverton, Oregon
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 5 min./batch
Makes12 waffles (1-1/4 cups topping)
- 1 cup boiling water
- 3/4 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/4 cups buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- In a small bowl, combine boiling water and oats; let stand for 3 minutes. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In another bowl, whisk the buttermilk, oil, egg and egg white; stir in oatmeal mixture. Add to dry ingredients; stir just until combined.
- Bake in a preheated waffle iron according to manufacturer's directions until golden brown. Combine topping ingredients; serve with waffles.
Originally published as Crunchy Oameal Waffles with Honey-orange ricotta topping in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2013
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.