- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 2-3/4 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1-1/2 cups chocolate-covered raisins
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs. Combine flour, baking soda and pie spice; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in oats and raisins.
- Drop by tablespoonfuls 2 in. apart onto greased baking sheets.
- Flatten slightly. Bake 13-15 minutes or until golden brown. Cool 5 minutes before removing to wire racks. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 3 dozen.
Reviews forOatmeal Surprise Cookies
"I make these all the time instead of plain oatmeal raisin cookies, never had a problem with the dough..maybe because I don't handle it & use a scooper to place the dough on the pan. I love the pumpkin pie spice & have used dark chocolate raisinettes instead of the milk chocolate version for a change. They never last long in my house, great for fall. Great for anytime."
"Made a double batch today & was a little disappointed on how "sticky" the dough was. It did not want to come off the spoon & when on the cookie sheet, you had to shape it wil your fingers ~ what a mess! It took the longest I have ever had , making a cookie to get them all on the pan & baked. Should the dough have been refrigenerated, so it would not have been so hard to work with it? Also, the amount of the pumpkin spice, seemed not to add much flavor., what about cinnamon? My husband thought they were not sweet enough, but with the two sugars & the sweet raisins, along with the chocolate candy, seemed to make it sweet enough. I thought. it was fine, except I would have liked some more spice flavor. The recipe said it would make 36 cookies & doubled, mine & made 99 cookies. Did any one else incounter this same problem, with the sticky dough? Thanks"
"These cookies were very very dry. Maybe they would be better with some vanilla pudding added."
"I love the hint of pumpkin from the pumpkin pie spice. Excellent!!"
"Adding chocolate-covered raisins to Oatmeal cookies is a great idea! These were especially wonderful warm out of the oven"
"It literally took 5 minutes for these to disappear! Fantastic!!"
"The cookie dough had very little flavor and the cookies, although they LOOKED perfect, were quite dry."
"I'm not really a fan of oatmeal cookies, but I had to try this recipe. They're delicious!"