Oatmeal Rollout Cookies
For special events, my mother would bring these cookies to the rural school I attended. She decorated each cookie with a student's name written in frosting.—Sally Gores, Almena, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch + cooling
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- Colored sugar
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. In another bowl, whisk flour, oats, baking soda and salt; gradually beat into creamed mixture.
- Divide dough in half. Shape each into a disk; wrap in plastic. Refrigerate 1 hour or until firm enough to roll.
- Preheat oven to 350°. On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion of dough to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 2-3/4-in. cookie cutter. Place 1 in. apart on greased baking sheets.
- Bake 9-11 minutes or until edges are light brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, in a small bowl, beat butter, cream cheese and vanilla until blended. Gradually beat in confectioners’ sugar until smooth. Spread over cookies. Decorate with colored sugar. Store in airtight containers in the refrigerator.
Originally published as Rolled Oatmeal Cookies in Cookies & Candies 2014 Bookazine