Oatmeal Ice Cream Sandwiches
I'm known for my desserts. These sandwiches combine the cookies I like best with ice cream.—Gary Maly, West Chester, Ohio
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + freezing Bake: 10 min./batch + cooling
Makesabout 2 dozen sandwiches
- 1 cup butter-flavored shortening
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup vanilla or white chips
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 gallon vanilla ice cream
- In a bowl, cream shortening and sugars. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Combine dry ingredients; gradually add to the creamed mixture. Stir in the chips and pecans.
- Drop by heaping teaspoonfuls 3 in. apart onto lightly greased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- To make ice cream sandwiches, place a scoop of ice cream on the bottom of half of the cookies. Top with remaining cookies; wrap in plastic. Place on a baking sheet; freeze.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 346 calories, 20g fat (7g saturated fat), 39mg cholesterol, 202mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (21g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Oatmeal Ice Cream Sandwiches in Taste of Home June/July 2000
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.