VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 cup butter-flavored shortening
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup vanilla or white chips
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 gallon vanilla ice cream
- In a bowl, cream shortening and sugars. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Combine dry ingredients; gradually add to the creamed mixture. Stir in the chips and pecans.
- Drop by heaping teaspoonfuls 3 in. apart onto lightly greased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- To make ice cream sandwiches, place a scoop of ice cream on the bottom of half of the cookies. Top with remaining cookies; wrap in plastic. Place on a baking sheet; freeze. Yield: about 2 dozen sandwiches.
Originally published as Oatmeal Ice Cream Sandwiches in Taste of Home June/July 2000, p47