Oatmeal Cookie Mix
"This easy cookie mix was a faithful standby when we needed something quick for harvest lunches on the Nebraska farm where I grew up," recalls Mary Jane Cantrell of Turlock, California.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 10 min.
Makesabout 2-1/2 dozen per batch
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2-1/2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup shortening
- 3 cups quick-cooking oats
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS:
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans, optional
- Combine the first five ingredients; cut in shortening until crumbly. Add oats and mix well. Store in an airtight container in a cool, dry place for up to 6 months. Yield: 5 batches (10 cups total).
- To prepare cookies: In a bowl, combine 2 cups cookie mix, egg, milk and vanilla; mix well. Fold in chocolate chips and pecans if desired. Drop by tablespoonfuls 2 in. apart onto greased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks to cool.
Originally published as Oatmeal Cookie Mix in Quick Cooking Premiere 1998
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.