- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1-1/2 cups boiling water
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1-1/2 cups sweetened shredded coconut
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 6 tablespoons half-and-half cream
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, combine the oats and boiling water. Let stand for 15 minutes or until cooled.
- In another large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add the oat mixture; mix well. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Combine the topping ingredients; spoon over top of warm cake; broil about 4 in. from heat for 3-4 minutes, or until top is lightly browned. Yield: 12-15 servings.
Reviews forOatmeal Chocolate Cake
"Delicious! The 13 x 9-inch cake would have been too much for us, so I made a half recipe (8 x 8 inch pan). The cake was excellent. The topping was a little too brown, so be careful to watch it closely. I believe it was my oven, as I had it under the broiler for only two minutes. The cake was still excellent. I will definitely be making this again. Thanks for such a good cake recipe!"
"I have made this recipe for years and it's always been a big hit. Family favorite and so easy. Usually have all the ingredients on hand."