Oatmeal Carrot Muffins
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 1/2 cup shredded carrot
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- In a large bowl, combine oats, raisins and milk; stir well. Cover and refrigerate 2 hours or overnight. Combine carrot, sugars, oil, egg whites and orange zest; stir into oat mixture. Combine dry ingredients; stir into the batter just until moistened. Coat muffin cups with cooking spray or use paper liners; fill cups two-thirds full. Bake at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until muffins test done. Cool in pan 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 227 calories, 6g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 184mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 7g protein.
Nov 24, 2013
I omitted the raisins and used Truvia/sugar blend to reduce the sugar, used whole eggs because I'm lazy, and used 2% milk because that's what I had on hand. I added chopped walnuts to increase the protein and fiber. The carrot was from my garden--super sweet. Made 6 muffin tops, 12 mini-muffins, and a small loaf cake. Excellent! It will be very difficult to ration them out over a few days...
Mar 1, 2011
These turned out great! I used only whole wheat flour and decreased the white sugar (I do this to all of my recipes) and added a hint of vanilla and cinnamon. I also used quick oats because that's what I had on hand. I will definitely make these again!They make great mini-muffins! Bake for about 10 minutes.
Jan 19, 2010
I didn't have time to let the oatmeal, milk and raisins soak for 2 hours. I soaked the mixture for about a half an hour, I added 1 tsp. of pumpkin pie spice to the batter and used only whole wheat flour. I also reduced the baking powder to 1-1/2 tsp. as I have never used a tablespoon of baking powder in a muffin recipe. After all the "tinkering" they came out tender and tasty. I will make them again with the changes.
Jul 7, 2009
I like to make muffins for my co-workers when they do a good job. These are my assistants favorite. They're great for breakfast. Not too sweet, just right.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.