- 1-1/2 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
- Peanut butter and/or applesauce, optional
- In a bowl, combine the first five ingredients. In another bowl, combine buttermilk, eggs and butter; stir into the dry ingredients until smooth. Bake in a preheated waffle iron according to manufacturer's directions until golden brown. Serve with peanut butter and/or apple sauce if desired. Yield: 6-8 waffles (6-1/2 inches).
Reviews forOatmeal Buttermilk Waffles
"Surprisingly quite yummy, just a slightly different texture than a traditional waffle. I too added an extra 1/2 cup of all purpose flour, as suggested and didn't have buttermilk so mixed 2 tbsp vinegar and topped up to the 2 cup mark with 2% milk. Also great with cinnamon and/or chocolate chips. Kid approved!"
"I have made this recipe since it first came out in the June 1997 magazine. healthy! Whenever my homemade kefir gets ahead of me, I use it in place of the buttermilk."
"better if use 1/2 white all purpose flour and 1/2 whole wheat flour and separate the eggs and whisk egg whites until soft peaks and mix it into the batter last. Then it's yummy!!"
"too thin! I added another cup of white flour. The taste and texture were all right. I served them with a custard sauce and fruit."