I simply love oatmeal cookies. I've added a variety of different goodies to the batter and think this combination is by far the best. It's especially tasty in autumn.
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 10 min./batch
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup English toffee bits or almond brickle chips
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg, water and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; gradually add to the creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in remaining ingredients.
- Drop by tablespoonfuls 3 in. apart onto ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool for 2 minutes before removing to wire racks.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 171 calories, 9g fat (3g saturated fat), 9mg cholesterol, 97mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (16g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Originally published as Oat-rageous Cookies in Best of Country Cookies
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.