- 2 cups quick-cooking oats
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2-1/2 cups boiling water
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 5-1/2 to 6 cups all-purpose flour
- Additional butter, melted
- In a large bowl, combine the oats, brown sugar, butter and salt; stir in boiling water. Cool to 110°-115°. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water; let stand for 5 minutes. Add oat mixture and 2 cups flour; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into 20 pieces. Place in a greased 13x9-in. baking pan. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan to a wire rack; brush with melted butter. Yield: 20 rolls.
Reviews forOat Pan Rolls
"I made these rolls today for Christmas dinner, but something went terribly wrong. I would love to hear from other bakers if you have a suggestion. After Step 2, I went to punch it down and found the dough much too soft as if there was too much liquid. I followed the steps strictly, and all was good until I got to Step 3 and it was unable to form to a ball. I was terribly disappointed and added at least 2 more cups of flour, but could never get the right consistency again. Thank goodness I had a back up bag of store bought freezer rolls to recover with."
"These are wonderful and delicious rolls. I always keep rolls and/or biscuits in my freezer. They keep well and then I have them when I need them. Yum-yum!"
"LOVED these rolls!"
"Yummy! They have a very good flavor!"
"Delicious! I made 18 of these rolls, so larger then recipe called for. I put 9 of them in the freezer for another time as Debbie Johnson suggested. I baked up the other 9 in a 8 x 8 pan. Light and fluffy. Thanks for the recipe."
"these rolls are divine! I don't know what I was expecting but it was waaayyy over the top. DEFINITELY give them a try! I have lost count of the times my family has asked me to make them!!! Thanks for such a keeper!"