Nutty Vegetable Rice
"This is a nutritious and delicious recipe that my family and guests love," writes Kathy Rairigh from Milford, Indiana. "We enjoy it as a side dish to grilled meats."
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2/3 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- 1/4 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 3/4 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 medium carrot, shredded
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped pecans, toasted
- In a small saucepan, bring the water, bouillon, salt and pepper to a boil. Stir in rice. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Stir in the mushrooms, carrot, parsley and onion. Cover and cook for 5-10 minutes or until rice is tender and vegetables are crisp-tender. Sprinkle with pecans.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 162 calories, 6g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 386mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 3g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.
Originally published as Rice-Vegetable Pilaf in Cooking for 2 Summer 2008
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.