Nutty Shortbread Cookies
My husband and I like the buttery flavor of shortbread cookies and have tweaked recipes through the years to come up with this mouthwatering version.—Angela Garcia, Oshkosh, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 30 min./batch + cooling
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup ground almonds
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cold butter
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract or 1 teaspoon hazelnut liqueur
- 30 red and/or green candied cherries
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, confectioners' sugar, almonds and salt; cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in extract. Knead dough until smooth, about 6-10 times.
- Shape into 1-in. balls. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Using the end of a wooden spoon handle, carefully make an indentation in the center of each. Fill each with a candied cherry.
- Bake at 300° for 30-35 minutes or until set. Cool for 1 minute before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely. Store in an airtight container.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 110 calories, 7g fat (4g saturated fat), 16mg cholesterol, 87mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat.
Originally published as Sweet Nutty Shortbread in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2010