Nutty Rosemary Bread
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + rising Bake: 35 min.
Makes2 loaves (16 slices each)
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 2-1/2 cups warm water (110° to 115°), divided
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup honey
- 3 tablespoons cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 5 to 6 cups bread flour
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 egg, beaten
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in 1/2 cup warm water. Add the whole wheat flour, oil, honey, cornmeal, rosemary, salt, 1 cup bread flour and remaining water. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining bread flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto a floured surface; add pecans. Knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a bowl coated with cooking spray, turning once to coat top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Divide in half; shape into two loaves. Place in two 9x5-in. loaf pans coated with cooking spray. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Brush egg over loaves. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until bread sounds hollow when tapped. Remove from pans to wire racks.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 150 calories, 5g fat (0 saturated fat), 7mg cholesterol, 76mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 fat.
Sep 22, 2013
Wonderful bread, made it several times....it turns out "tastey" every time!
Jul 2, 2011
I have made this bread many times over the past several years. It's very tasty and tender. It is also wonderful with turkey, goat cheese, and a mixture of finely diced tomato and scallion. YUM!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.