Nutty Rosemary Bread
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + rising Bake: 35 min.
Makes2 loaves (16 slices each)
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 2-1/2 cups warm water (110° to 115°), divided
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup honey
- 3 tablespoons cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 5 to 6 cups bread flour
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 egg, beaten
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in 1/2 cup warm water. Add the whole wheat flour, oil, honey, cornmeal, rosemary, salt, 1 cup bread flour and remaining water. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining bread flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto a floured surface; add pecans. Knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a bowl coated with cooking spray, turning once to coat top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Divide in half; shape into two loaves. Place in two 9x5-in. loaf pans coated with cooking spray. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Brush egg over loaves. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until bread sounds hollow when tapped. Remove from pans to wire racks.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 150 calories, 5g fat (0 saturated fat), 7mg cholesterol, 76mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 fat.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Sep 22, 2013
Wonderful bread, made it several times....it turns out "tastey" every time!
Jul 2, 2011
I have made this bread many times over the past several years. It's very tasty and tender. It is also wonderful with turkey, goat cheese, and a mixture of finely diced tomato and scallion. YUM!