Nutty Pumpkin Bisque
Hearty and comforting pumpkin soup is the perfect starter to a holiday meal or the star performer of an autumn luncheon. The addition of the toasted pecans and pumpkin seeds creates a wonderful depth of flavor. This soup can be served immediately or made a day in advance and then reheated. —Lauri Knox, Pine, Colorado
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
- 1/2 cup sherry or chicken stock
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 1/2 cup salted pumpkin seeds or pepitas, toasted
- Optional toppings: Sour cream, fresh rosemary sprigs, additional toasted chopped pecans and pumpkin seeds
- In a 6-qt. stockpot, heat butter over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook and stir until tender, 2-3 minutes. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in stock, pumpkin, sherry, brown sugar and seasonings; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until slightly thickened, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in cream, pecans and seeds. Remove from heat; cool slightly. Process in batches in a blender until smooth. Return all to pan; heat through. If desired, serve with optional toppings.
Nutrition Facts1-1/4 cups: 576 calories, 50g fat (20g saturated fat), 83mg cholesterol, 713mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 7g fiber), 13g protein.
Originally published as Nutty Pumpkin Bisque in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2017