Nutty Pumpkin Bisque
Hearty and comforting pumpkin soup is the perfect starter to a holiday meal or the star performer of an autumn luncheon. The addition of the toasted pecans and pumpkin seeds creates a wonderful depth of flavor. This soup can be served immediately or made a day in advance and then reheated. —Lauri Knox, Pine, Colorado
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
- 1/2 cup sherry or chicken stock
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 1/2 cup salted pumpkin seeds or pepitas, toasted
- Optional toppings: Sour cream, fresh rosemary sprigs, additional toasted chopped pecans and pumpkin seeds
- In a 6-qt. stockpot, heat butter over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook and stir until tender, 2-3 minutes. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in stock, pumpkin, sherry, brown sugar and seasonings; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until slightly thickened, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in cream, pecans and seeds. Remove from heat; cool slightly. Process in batches in a blender until smooth. Return all to pan; heat through. If desired, serve with optional toppings.