Nutty Orange Spritz Strips
While living in Wisconsin years ago, I participated in an annual cookie exchange with my co-workers, and the other women raved about these. The unique recipe now holds a treasured place in our family cookbook.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + standing Bake: 15 min./batch + cooling
Makesabout 4-1/2 dozen
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 4 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 2-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- 1 cup ground walnuts
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluff. Beat in egg and orange zest. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add to the creamed mixture alternately with orange juice, beating well after each addition.
- Using a cookie press fitted with a bar disk, form dough into long strips on ungreased baking sheets. Cut each strip into 3-in. pieces (there is no need to separate the pieces).
- Bake at 350° for 12-14 minutes or until edges are golden. Cut into pieces again if necessary. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- In microwave, melt chocolate and shortening; stir until smooth. Dip each end of cookies in chocolate mixture, allow excess to drip off. Roll in walnuts. Place on waxed paper; let stand until set.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 176 calories, 10g fat (5g saturated fat), 21mg cholesterol, 91mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.