- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/4 cups confectioners' sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1/2 teaspoon orange extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup finely chopped hazelnuts
- In a large bowl, cream butter and 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in orange peel and extracts. Combine flour and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in nuts.
- Shape into 3/4-in. balls. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes or until bottoms are lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- Place remaining confectioners' sugar in a large resealable plastic bag. Add cookies, a few at a time, and shake to coat. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 3 dozen.
Reviews forNutty Orange Snowballs
"Loved them. Gave a few away but ate the rest myself. Am going to make again soon. They're not just for Christmas."
"LOVED this recipe. Such a nice twist to have a butter cookie with orange high-lights. Course this recipe would be simple to exchange for any of the citrus flavors and or nut combinations you desire. Mine turned out great with the walnut/hazlenut combo. And I used the zest of an entire orange - way more than 1 teaspoon as the recipe called for. It was delish! Made them for Valentine's Day packaged in cute little cello bags. They were a hit. I will definitely be making these time and time again!"
"Made these today using orange zest instead of just grated peel. Next time I think i will add a touch of orange food coloring to give it a color other than dough. The powdered sugar did not ahere to it as well as in the photo. Decreased the amount of nuts to 1/3 cups because it seemed to be a lot. Tasted a bit flour-like to me and were more "crumbly" than melt in your mouth type, but the family enjoyed them."
"Just made these yesterday for our Christmas get-together. I couldn`t find orange extract so I used lemon extract and also added more orange zest. For the nuts, I used almonds; they were really finely crushed, powdery, and the package size was just what I needed.They are really, really good! Making them into balls was a bit time consuming but then I baked 28 in just one batch so it wasn`t that bad.Will definitely make these again, and not just for Christmas. :D"
"I made the Snowballs today, Mexican Wedding cookies is my favorite of all cookies. I didn't have an orange so I used a lemon and lemon extract. They came out lovely and very tasty. I also used pecans for the nut. I have added this recipe to my recipe folder for future use. I'm sure I will be using this recipe for many years to come."
"These cookies were wonderful. I'll never make regular snowball cookies again. Since my family does not like hazelnuts, I substituted walnuts and they were fabulous."
"Very easy to make and have a wonderful hint of citrus. It looks like a new family favorite for the holidays...or anytime."