Nutty Onion Green Beans
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1/2 pound fresh green beans, trimmed and cut in half
- 1 small red onion, sliced and separated into rings
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Place beans in a saucepan and cover with water; bring to a boil. Cook, uncovered, for 8-10 minutes or until crisp-tender; drain and set aside.
- In a large skillet, cook onion and pecans in butter until onion is tender. In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar, orange juice, mustard and salt; stir into the onion mixture. Cook 2-3 minutes longer or until sauce begins to thicken. Stir in beans; heat through.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 200 calories, 16g fat (6g saturated fat), 23mg cholesterol, 483mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 3g fiber), 2g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 21, 2017
Makes regular green beans so much better. My family loved the flavors and is asking for it again.
Jul 27, 2014
I had some left over fish and bought some fresh green beans to go with. OMG! If i could give this 6 stars I would. A few adjustments due to lack of ingredients. Used slivered almonds, didn't have pecans. Will try it next time with pecans. Not a fan of orange, so I used lemon. Used 1/4t. kosher salt, due to the sodium in the mustard and butter. I will be making this again for sure.
Dec 22, 2012
MIght want less on mustard, it was pretty powerful tasting when I made it.Otherwise it was tasty. will make again.
Jul 18, 2012
These were awesome! I rec'd beans in my food coop basket and had to use them somehow. This recipe has changed my previous attitude of 'green bean hater' to 'hey, get your own. these are mine!'
Dec 26, 2011
Very easy to make! This works well with frozen green beans too. The orange and nut flavor is amazing with the beans!
Jul 4, 2011
We made ours with a sweet onion since I didn't have a red onion on hand. Quite good. Will make again.
Oct 19, 2010
these green beans were great ,my niece hates veggies but she loved these.as well as everyone else.will make again. j.huff. san dimas,calif
May 18, 2010
Excellent recipe. I made it with grilled pork chops and mashed potatoes.
Jan 1, 2010
We love this one!