Nutty Fudge Torte
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 45 min. + cooling
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1 package devil's food cake mix (regular size)
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 can (15 ounces) sliced pears, drained
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 2 teaspoons water
- 1/4 cup caramel ice cream topping, warmed
- 1/2 teaspoon 2% milk
- Whipped cream or vanilla ice cream and additional toasted pecans, optional
- In a microwave, melt chocolate chips and condensed milk; stir until smooth. Set aside. In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, oil and cinnamon until crumbly. Set aside 1/2 cup for topping.
- In a blender, cover and process pears until smooth. Add to remaining cake mixture with eggs; beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium for 2 minutes.
- Pour into a greased 9-in. springform pan. Drop melted chocolate by tablespoonfuls over batter. Combine the pecans, water and reserved cake mixture; crumble over chocolate.
- Bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Carefully run a knife around the edge of pan to loosen.
- Remove sides of pan. Combine caramel topping and milk until smooth; drizzle on serving plates. Top with a slice of torte. Serve with whipped cream or ice cream and sprinkle with pecans if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 317 calories, 14g fat (4g saturated fat), 33mg cholesterol, 326mg sodium, 45g carbohydrate (31g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 3, 2015
I did make adjustments on this recipe! The review below actually is not the correct one!I did have to go on Facebook and report to Sue regarding this red-flag message on this revised rating/review! Baking time: 45 minutes! Greased and floured 9" spring form pan used. Substituted: 1 can well-drained chunky mixed canned fruit for the sliced pears: (15-oz.). and processed the fruit in my food processor until smooth.Prepared a glaze of 3/4 cup evaporated milk and 1-1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips which I measured out 1/3 cup for this torte. I used a regular-sized package of devil's food cake mix and kept the amount of eggs, VEGETABLE oil, cinnamon the same. I beat the batter 5 minutes on medium speed. I didn't toast the pecans-I kept them as is. I baked the torte at 45 minutes and cake tester inserted near center came out clean. I'd spooned the reserved chocolate mixture over batter and combined the nuts, 2 tsp. water and reserved cake mixture which I crumbled over the chocolate.
Jul 10, 2014
I've been making this since it won the Pillsbury Bake-off in the mid 90's. Comes out picture perfect every time! Delicious!!!