Nutty Fudge Torte
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 45 min. + cooling
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1 package devil's food cake mix (regular size)
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 can (15 ounces) sliced pears, drained
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 2 teaspoons water
- 1/4 cup caramel ice cream topping, warmed
- 1/2 teaspoon 2% milk
- Whipped cream or vanilla ice cream and additional toasted pecans, optional
- In a microwave, melt chocolate chips and condensed milk; stir until smooth. Set aside. In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, oil and cinnamon until crumbly. Set aside 1/2 cup for topping.
- In a blender, cover and process pears until smooth. Add to remaining cake mixture with eggs; beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium for 2 minutes.
- Pour into a greased 9-in. springform pan. Drop melted chocolate by tablespoonfuls over batter. Combine the pecans, water and reserved cake mixture; crumble over chocolate.
- Bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Carefully run a knife around the edge of pan to loosen.
- Remove sides of pan. Combine caramel topping and milk until smooth; drizzle on serving plates. Top with a slice of torte. Serve with whipped cream or ice cream and sprinkle with pecans if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 317 calories, 14g fat (4g saturated fat), 33mg cholesterol, 326mg sodium, 45g carbohydrate (31g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
Jan 3, 2015
I did make adjustments on this recipe! The review below actually is not the correct one!I did have to go on Facebook and report to Sue regarding this red-flag message on this revised rating/review! Baking time: 45 minutes! Greased and floured 9" spring form pan used. Substituted: 1 can well-drained chunky mixed canned fruit for the sliced pears: (15-oz.). and processed the fruit in my food processor until smooth.Prepared a glaze of 3/4 cup evaporated milk and 1-1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips which I measured out 1/3 cup for this torte. I used a regular-sized package of devil's food cake mix and kept the amount of eggs, VEGETABLE oil, cinnamon the same. I beat the batter 5 minutes on medium speed. I didn't toast the pecans-I kept them as is. I baked the torte at 45 minutes and cake tester inserted near center came out clean. I'd spooned the reserved chocolate mixture over batter and combined the nuts, 2 tsp. water and reserved cake mixture which I crumbled over the chocolate.
Jul 10, 2014
I've been making this since it won the Pillsbury Bake-off in the mid 90's. Comes out picture perfect every time! Delicious!!!